Background

Thursday, September 26, 2013

See Jane Run 1/2 Marathon

After training for the past 12 weeks, my sister and I completed our first 1/2 marathon. I have had a goal to complete a 1/2 for a long time and it felt so great to accomplish it. 

The 12 weeks of training were fun yet hard at times. We had a crosstraining day, hills, intervals, tempo runs, and long runs. I looked forward to our Saturday long runs the most. We would get up and be on the trails by 6 a.m. They were such fun runs with lots of girl time. Interval training and hills during the week were tough. They were about 6 miles for several weeks. The toughest part was finding time to get it in while working full time/having supper ready for Sloane and Mike as soon as I got home from work. There is something to be said about my hubby....I have a super hubby:) He knows that when I have a goal, I am not happy until it's completed:) He helped a lot so I could sneek out and get a run in. Several times when I was tired and not looking forward to a long run after work, he would come meet me on the trails and run the last half of my run. This was so encouraging to me. There was one Saturday when we substituted 9 miles for 13.1 to give us some confidence. We ran the hogeye half route in Fayetteville. This was through the campus of U of A with lots and LOTS of hills. It was tough, but great to run a hard course. We kept telling ourselves Wichita wouldn't be as bad and it wasn't. The last couple weeks we backed off in mileage and I was able to get my runs in before work in the morning. I would be running on the trails by 4:45 a.m. Crazy but it felt great to get it done and not miss out on Sloane time! 
Meagan and I left around 2 on Friday to head to Wichita to pick up our packets. We had a fun and eventful mommy/sister drive. Kids were crazy and we had some great laughs. 
 This was the view from our hotel room with the river and trail we ran. There was a baseball game going on both nights and we could watch from our hotel. 

 My mom and dad and Jaydon came down from NE to watch. So different for these wrestling parents to watch a half marathon. We jokingly told them we had to keep up with our intense wrestling bro's somehow:)
 Before the race....love these 2.
 This little girl is such a sweetheart. By the end of training, everytime I'd put my running shoes on she would say, "mama go running". I tried to take her with as much as possible.




 Love this girl. Can't say enough how proud of her I am. She did so great! 


 Getting ready to start. Laughing at Tyler who yelled run faster as soon as it started. 

 Sloane with Uncle Jaydon
 This was between mile 5-6. Meagan had just said wouldn't it be cool if our fans were here. I looked up and said look there they are! So fun!
 We took shotbloks and sport beans throughout and grabbed water a few times. I learned a lot about marathons/electrolytes in school, and it's just better to be smart about it. 

Fan crew

 We decided to take a pic after every mile. This was tricky while running but gave us something to do. By the end, one of us had to sprint ahead and stand by 11 and 12. Haha
 Getting closer to the finish. Meagan had told me she wasn't feeling well and was getting chilled. I looked at her and handed her sport beans. I told her we're not fainting...we've come this far. We worked on breathing and she was doing a little better. We were getting closer to the finish and I was ready to kick it. I told her that when she was ready, kick it and I'll follow. She told me to go ahead but I didn't want to. We'd done all of our training together and I didn't want to leave her now. 





 The big finish....so fun to do with my sister!! 


 My mom....taking great pictures.

 This race was for cancer. We had recently found out about our cousin, Ethans journey through brain cancer. This boy is strong and courageous in his journey. Please keep him in your prayers. www.teameaadams.blogspot.com

1 comment:

  1. Ahhhh...thanks for putting the details all together Shel...this is so neat!! So proud of you girls...and thankful for health to meet your goals!

    ReplyDelete