Background

Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Oakley John Swanson is here!

The story of Oakley John...

I had a great pregnancy...I gained less weight than Sloane, had less swelling, and lower BP. This was such a huge blessing. I had found out that I was going to be induced on Monday August 11th (39 weeks) if I hadn't gone on my own due to baby getting bigger. At this point I was 3 cm and 30% effaced and had been for 2 weeks. I finished out my final day of work on the Friday before. I had tried walking, squatting, using the exercise ball and nothing happened. I finally came to terms that I would most likely be induced, and we were able to just rest and enjoy the weekend.  

My mom came on Sunday night and we were able to just relax and talk. I was so anxious this time around. With the first baby, it's so exciting and also nice because you have no idea what to expect as far as labor goes. Second time around, you most definitely know what's coming and it's terrifying. It gave Mike and I a chance to grow closer by praying and trusting that God's got in all in his hands.
 
We left for the hospital at about 5 a.m. My mom spent the night at our house to be there when Sloane woke up. It was so nice to know she was in good hands. We got to the hospital checked in and filled out paperwork and headed to our room. 

The nurse got the monitors hooked up and started the IV. I was checked and was at 4cm (this was a huge relief to be progressed that far...I started at a fingertip with Sloane). We started watching 19 kids and counting (we're addicted to this show lately) and just waited for awhile. At about 8 a.m. the nurse came in and started the pitocin. 

The first few rounds of pitocin were tolerable, and I was able to walk/ do some squatting.  Mike laughed at me, but I was determined to get things going. At about 11 a.m. the anesthesiologist came in and did the epidural. Then they cranked up the pit...and Dr. came in and broke my water I was at 6cm. Mike managed to talk sports/football to the anesthesiologist the whole time which was a little entertaining/alarming, haha. 

I did have a reaction to the epidural shortly after. My BP tanked and I was sure I was going to pass out....such a strange feeling! The nurse was able to bring it back up with meds. At this point though, I knew I needed my mom there...she always has all the answers and knows exactly what to do:) 

From this point on, I kept progressing each hour and was at 10cm by 2 p.m. My sister got there in time for delivery as well, which is why we have such great pictures to remember this special moment. We welcomed adorable Oakley John at 2:44p.m. He was 8lbs and 19in....I think everyones jaws dropped when we saw him. He was so big!! This was such an unbelievable moment. Truly a gift from the Lord!! 

Ready to leave for the hospital at 5 a.m.

Ready to meet the boy!
Hospital selfie...haha





Such an unforgettable moment!




8lbs and 19in
Dr. Sarver




We ended up having the nurse who gave us a tour the week earlier. I had told Mike that I hoped I got her for delivery. Such a blessing! 







Meant so much to have my mom and sister there!
Under the warmer
Footprint on a baseball 

Big sister Sloane meeting baby Oakley!








Meeting Uncle Ty and cousins:) 






Meagan made an awesome sign for our door!










Very bored and ready to go home at this point:) 



No comments:

Post a Comment